THE PRESENCE OF GOD IN WORSHIP
The presence of God is key to our lives as worshipers. With His practice our worship would become flat and even dead. His presence brings life.
‘Holy Spirit come.’ ‘We welcome you Holy Spirit.’ ‘Let Your presence fill this place.’ ‘We want more of You.’ I’m sure you have spoken one of more of these at some point or have heard someone speaking it out. Question: Why invite God to come when He is already here? I used to asked this question often because to me it made no sense. But than I realized something- We need to understand that there are different levels or measures of God’s presence. The truth is when He is present, there is always more. There will always be more until the day we get to Heaven and it will just be an explosion of His beautiful presence and glory.
So today I’m just going to share you with 5 levels or measures that God’s presence is displayed. Hopefully you can take this with you and it will put a hunger in you to know more of Him.
- His omnipresence. God first inhabits everything and holds all things together. He is everywhere. He is the glue that holds creation in place.
- The Holy Spirit dwells in the lives of believers. He specifically comes to make us His tabernacle, the place where He lives in.
- He comes when believers gather in His name. He is there in their midst. (Matthew 18:20)
- God comes when His people praise Him. He is already in our midst but Has chosen to come upon us more powerfully in this atmosphere. He inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3).
- Even greater still is when the temple of Solomon was dedicated, God came in such a way that no one could even stand let alone play instruments or sing. They were completely undone at that measure of His presence.
This is what I long for as a worshiper. Times of worshiping in His presence where we become so overwhelmed in all He is. So we say “More of Your presence God!”